Thursday, November 28, 2013

Manga Highlight #6: Tonari no Kaibutsu-kun

This is such a cute story that I have to write about it.



TITLE: Tonari no Kaibutsu-kun (, The Monster Sitting Beside Me)


GENRE: Romance, Comedy

WRITER: Robico

DEMOGRAPHIC: Shoujo

CHAPTERS: 44

STATUS: Ongoing



Mizutani Shizuku only had one thing on her mind and that was to study hard. That is, until she met Yoshida Haru. Mizutani was given the task to give a few handouts to Yoshida when one thing led to another and their relationship escalated.



WHAT ATTRACTED ME TO TONARI NO KAIBUTSU-KUN?



I was introduced to it by a Facebook share. A fan page I was following posted a screenshot from the anime. The first impression I had was that the art was pretty. And come on, a girl holding a chain that's connected to a guy's choker? Who's not going to be interested in that?



Good thing someone posted the name of the series. So, I watched the anime. Yes, I watched the anime first. Like with any other anime out there, the anime cut off the story and the fans were patiently waiting for a second season (they recently released an OVA meaning they haven't forgotten about this series yet). There's still hope!



WHAT IS IT THAT I LIKE ABOUT TONARI NO KAIBUTSU-KUN?



So there I was, dying to find out what happens next. Then, I turned to manga for the rest of the story. Anyway, the story is good! Unlike the other shoujo manga I read (or anime I watched), the heroine isn't the dreamy, looking for love, type. Mizutani knows what she wants and how to get it, that is, academic-wise. Despite her inexperience in relationships, she's not a fumbling awkward girl. Others may argue that she's like an emotionless robot, no she's not.



Another thing I like about the series is that, nobody is perfect. Most shoujo stories tend to have this perfect character that can do everything and most people love them (e.g. Usui Takumi of Kaichou wa Maid-sama, don't get me wrong. I like the guy! ^^ ). Here, everyone have flaws. Yamaken is a cool and handsome guy. He's also very smart and girls flock around him. But, he got no sense of direction. Yamaken and Ryoga (Ranma) should hang out. Lol



WHAT I DID NOT LIKE ABOUT TONARI NO KAIBUTSU-KUN?



It takes too long for the next issue. LOL Yes, I know it's like that for every other monthly manga. Seriously, aside from that, there's nothing else I did not like about it. Hmm(starts thinking again)



Well, if I really have to say something. It's probably the slow pace or the fact that there's less emphasis on Yoshida's family. But it's not something to really dislike. The pacing is not terribly slow and the part about Yoshida's family will come sooner or later. Not a big deal.



WOULD I RECOMMEND THIS MANGA TO OTHERS?



Yes. Robico's art is good. The story is good. Over all, it's a good romcom and definitely worth recommending!



EXTRA: TONARI NO KAIBUTSU-KUN ANIME MINI-REVIEW



Since I saw the anime first, let me write a little about it. It's really good and true to the manga. Suzuki Tatsuhisa did a great job as Yoshida Haru. This is the guy who voiced Nase Hiromi from , Takao Kazunari of Kuroko no Basuke, and Tachibana Makoto of Free!



Either you start with the manga or the anime, it's totally fine.
Full Post

No comments:

Post a Comment