Thursday, December 26, 2013

How very odd

As part of the discussion on Artemis' excellent post I made:



Rumiko Takahashi is a difficult case to assess. She may be simultaneously the most successful female comic artist ever, AND one of the least feminist comic artists ever. The gender roles in Ranma 1/2 are horrifying.




This is basically what I said when I reviewed . This is mostly because of the episode where Nabiki is covertly taking, and selling, photos of her sister and somewhat more provocative photos of a sleeping Ranma-chan.



Then I started getting a few hits from a Vulture of Critique post titled ""



Not the sort of thing I ever expected to see, and I'm finding the whole thing to be quite odd.



Leaving aside the content, the post title itself is a misinterpretation.



It is a long, long leap from saying that the gender roles in Ranma 1/2 are horrifying to saying that I find Rumiko Takahashi horrifying.



As it happens I DON'T find Rumiko Takahashi horrifying; I find that her works can be problematic and especially the gender roles in her earlier works. I didn't see all of Inuyasha but what I did see was a significant improvement in that respect.



A lot of the post content seems to be "feminism is bad", which Iso I won't comment further.
Full Post

No comments:

Post a Comment